Career Tech Field Trip and Job Shadow
Objective: To interface high school students with film and television professionals on an actual film set and film studio.
Lesson Plan: The students interact with film and television professionals representing cinematography, film lighting, location sound mixing, script supervising and producing. Students will be rotated every ninety minutes through the various departments.
- Students: Must be part of a Media Program that requires a field trip to a professional facility or a student who must “job shadow” a professional in the film/television industry.
- Transportation: Each school or student is responsible for their own transportation to and from Motion Picture Institute.
- Fees: The workshop is $10.00 per student ½ day, $15.00 full day.
- Time: The field trip starts at 8:30 am with students rotating between departments every 90 minutes.
- Refreshments: Motion Picture Institute provides water and snacks. (usually water, pop and donuts). We also have snack-filled vending machines available.
- Qualified Staff: Cinematographer, Gaffer, Location Sound Mixer, Script Supervisor and film Producer.
- All necessary equipment, space: The facility is Motion Picture Institute and is conducted on a professional soundstage where hundreds of commercial spots have been shot as well as music videos and independent feature films. Equipment will be on hand including professional cameras, lighting, grip and audio equipment.
CAREER TECH DAY AGENDA:
8:00 am – Registration – water/donuts/beverages.
8:30 am – Greeting and introduction to staff.
8:40 am – 1st Session.
10:00 am – 2nd Session.
11:30 am – Lunch.
12:30 pm – 3rd Session.
01:30 pm – 4th Session.
03:00 pm – Wrap up.
- Film Lighting Technician / Electrician
- Location Sound Mixer
- Script Supervisor
In each session students meet with a film professional who will talk about the duties, responsibilities and day in the life of their respective job. They will discuss the required skills, training, studies, path a person must consider in pursuing this career and how much this job can expect to earn. Hands on instruction will include operation of the basic tools used in that particular job including cameras, lighting, and audio recording equipment. Students will be encouraged to ask questions.
How To Register
Space is limited. $15.00 for the entire day and $10.00 for a half day.