Our Filmmaking and Production Classes
Screenwriting, Directing, Producing, Cinematography, Editing, Sound Mixing, Art Direction & Film Production
Motion Picture Institute is a film school that prepares students for jobs and careers in the film, television, documentary and the digital media production industries.
Our film school offers:
- A nationally accredited filmmaking program designed to teach all aspects of the filmmaking process from script to screen all within a year.
- Students the opportunity to write, cast and direct up to three of their own film projects using school equipment, facilities and classmates as crew. This includes conducting an annual casting call for local area actors to audition for each of the projects.
- A curriculum focused on experiential learning through dozens of film productions where students develop the essential filmmaking skills such as cinematography, lighting, grip & electric, location sound mixing, script supervising, art direction, and assistant directing. These experiences enable our students to make an informed decision on where to guide their interests and posture themselves for employment in the film industry.
- A hybrid program that includes both on-campus practical training courses combined with online instruction.
- Classes devoted to career development in feature film, episodic television, commercial, documentary, and digital media production.
- An arsenal of professional film equipment (camera, lighting, sound and grip) to use on their projects within a complete production facility that includes two soundstages, a scene shop, screening room, conference room, post audio suite, café’ and library.
- Faculty who are all working professionals who bring their years of experience and established industry methods.
- A supportive networking environment composed of staff, faculty, peers and school graduates, all who are focused on advancing each student’s journey towards working the film industry.
- A showcase of student work on the silver screen at a local movie theater as part of our graduation ceremony.
- A lifelong relationship with our career service department in addition to our gear for graduates’ program and enables graduates in good standing to access school facilities and equipment as an alum to continue to practice the filmmaking craft as directors.
For 25 years students from around the country and overseas have enrolled at Motion Picture Institute to receive some of the best film production training and education. All chose to complete their vocational training in film at Motion Picture Institute because of our history, graduate successes, professional foundation, personalized attention, access to facilities and equipment, and real-world filmmaking experiences. We have graduates working all over the globe in film, television, commercials and the like.
MPI Course Sequence
|1||BCS100||Basic Camera and Sound|
|2||EDL220||Advanced Film Editing|
|PRL218||Lighting for Film|
|PRL219||Motion Picture Sound|
|PRL319||Commercial Media Production|
|PRL318||Film Art and Design|
|4||FCP400||Film Career Preparation|
|SCN312||The Business of Screenwriting|
|EDL320||Intro Visual Effects|
|FCP410||The Film Business|
Phase 1 Schedule: Winter 2023 School Year Classes
Next Start Dates: August 28, 2023
|Day||Class||Mode*||Hours per Week||On-Campus Classes**||Online Classes|
|Tuesday||Intro to Screenwriting||Blended||2 hours||6||6|
|Monday||Film Editing||Blended||2 hours||3||9|
|Wednesday||Film Directing||On-Campus||3 hours||12||0|
|Monday||Basic Camera and Sound||On-Campus||1 – 2 hour||16||0|
|Thursday||Production Lab||On-Campus||4 hours||12||0|
|Wednesday||Preproduction||Blended||1 – 2 hours||4||8|
Class schedules are provided to each student at the start of each phase. Schedules detail the weekly times, days and dates of class.