MPI’s Director of Enrollment, Kevin Walsh, sat down with soon-to-be graduate, Pascal Rehm, to get a glimpse into the Film Production Program.

Q: Thanks for joining us, Pacal. As you are wrapping up your year at MPI, can you share what’s been a real plus for you with such a concentrated 12 months.

A: I would say the advantage of it being a full year and not having these big breaks, you really do get a lot of class time and the opportunity to interact with everyone and learn from other people. You’re never rushed, and you do have time. I think if anything we could be given even more time because in certain subjects you can only apply information through hands-on learning after you’ve been out filming –but overall, I think the program is well done.

Q: Do you have an area of filmmaking that interest you now—more than you thought it might when you started at MPI?

A: When I first started, I wanted to be a writer and director. But after having directed, I realized I just want to be a screen writer.

Q: Is that common among other classmates? After being here they want to switch areas?

A: I think it does. From what I’ve heard, a lot of people have come in here trying to be directors and in higher up positions. However, more and more people seem to be going for different jobs now

Q: If somebody were to ask you five years from now- what’s one thing you’ll always remember, one moment that might have been a real turning point for you?

A: That’s a good question. I would say about a month ago, I was filming my thesis film on the stage and there was a scene where it was supposed to go split screen between two different people on a phone call in an office—and we were using the same office for both shots. Then, on the spot my team figured out a way to completely change the wall so there is no possible way you could identify that it was the same office and it really made an impact on me. Because it showed that through creativity you can improvise something and completely change how the audience sees things.

Q: Is there any teacher you would like to give a shout out to?

A: Richard Rothrock, because I do want to be a screenwriter and his classes are really helpful, not only in the beginning of the year learning script format and everything, but at this point in the year too where we learn more of what to do after MPI–how to freelance write, which is good and really that’s one of the big things I was hoping to learn coming in.

Q: With this program, everyone experiences all major aspects of filmmaking. What do you think about that?

A: I personally think its great, I know some students might disagree and I see where they’re coming from. I feel it is important that you learn everything. For myself I really don’t much like sound and lighting, but I noticed just as a writer knowing about the challenges in those departments, you adjust your writing based on those possible issues–knowing what it will be like on the set, after you’re done writing.

Q: If you were giving advice to someone who was just about to start, what would you say?

A: Go in with an open mind, don’t just focus on what you want to go into but really dive deep into all of the classes and into all of the jobs–because you’ll be surprised what will interest you and what experiences and knowledge will stick with you afterwards.